Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let's begin.

My name is Catherine. I have an alter ego. She is inside me all the time, but sometimes she slips out... Unfortunately it's been happening more and more. The cracks in my outer, perky and positive seeming exterior have been opening slowly but steadily. I believe I owe this new found openness to a few of my friends. Together, we are called "The Drunk Book Club". Thanks a lot guys.

"The Drunk Book Club", otherwise known as the "Drub Club" (not really, I just made that up), is made up of myself, Denee (Like Renee with a D), Cassandra, Jaimie and Corly. I feel like this would be a good time to tell you about them-- montage style... whatever that is. 

When I met Denee, she thought I hated her. It's not uncommon for people to think I hate them. I am extremely shy around people I don't know. She says what she is thinking, she doesn't care what people think of her, and she is a ginger. In a way, she can get away with saying anything, which, I'm sure is a result of the fact that she doesn't hold back and never has... and she's ginger. Dr. Pepper is her almost constant companion. She tried to give it up one day. A few days later, she stopped trying. 

Cassandra was a friend of Denee's, heck she's friends with everybody, but they had a class together at the University and then met again at church. I didn't really, let's say, approve of Cassandra at first. The boy I liked, I mean really liked, was going after her, and soon they had begun to date. I wanted to rip her head off-- figuratively of course. Who knew she would become one of my best friends within half a year.

I honestly don't know how we started to hang out with Jaimie. She just kind of showed up a few times, and a while later, it felt like we were an incomplete group without her. She was a missing piece we needed. If not for her and her champagne flutes, the book club wouldn't even exist, and her Disney princess quality gives whimsy to any occasion. Unfortunately she has a boyfriend now. Not that she shouldn't, it's just that it takes away important Jaimie time from the rest of us book clubbers. 

Corly showed up one week at church, her dark red hair in large loopy curls under her ears. My first thought was, "What a sweet looking girl." She also looked like Amy Pond from "Doctor Who". Soon after we invited her to come roller skating with us. Tuesday nights were discount nights. After skating a while, she mentioned her head itched and it was annoying to have the wig on. Wig? "Yeah, my hair is super short because of an incident, so I'm wearing the wig until it grows out some more." She didn't say anything more. I thought she didn't want to talk about it. A car accident, or perhaps cancer had come her way recently? I didn't press. Turns out the issue wasn't as sensitive as it seemed. Her little brother chopped off her hair in her sleep. Whoops. She is a ginger though-- one who collects wigs and small animal bones, though if you offered her a large animal bone, I'm sure she wouldn't protest. So, sweet little Corly, turned out to be sweet... in a much less typical way. She'd rather be fighting demons with her prince than let him sweep her off her feet. 

I would like to clarify a few things: we don't drink alcohol, and we don't discuss books. Occasionally a book will come up, and more than occasionally we drink sparkly cider out of Jaimie's champagne flutes, but mostly we just talk about random topics, ending with Jaimie, Denee and Corly making innuendo filled conversation to make Cassandra and I squirm. Eventually we discovered "Scribblenauts" and the squirming stopped to make room for the infinite possibilities of Maxwell and his handy objects. My favorite: Vampire Narwhal. 

Me? I'm Bitter Catherine. And this blog is about me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment